Thursday, December 19, 2002

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers

Before:

Took me a good 80 minutes to drive from Kelana Jaya to Megamall. Horrendous traffic. Cursed and swore to heart's content. Grr. Reached there in time for dinner and some shopping. Got me a steering lock for (uh-hum) me new car. Thought of getting other stuff too like air fresheners but decided it was a little premature considering I haven't even settled the financing. Headed on to the cineplexes about 30 minutes before showtime and got a little taken aback with the crowd. A good thousand or so people seem to be there, all gaggly and googly eyed. Movie characters were walking about, (Gandalf was holding a broomstick painted white with a rattan ball at the tip, sungguh sad) and Legolas (with Pantene locks included) drew many starry-eyed stares. Very buoyant festive atmosphere. Lots of fans out there.

The Seats:

Entering the cineplex, I realised the darling Starbucks people from Great Eastern Mall sold me front row seats. A little peeved but not in a position to do much. Sitting from the front row makes the movie watching experience surreal since the whole screen is just barely within your vision scope and everything is just so huge. (remembered staring at Gollum's eyes way way too much).

The Movie:

Great movie! Very different from the first one, which I felt was a tad dull. I didn't notice the time flew by for this one. Very engaging. Unlike the first one, the Two Towers is more faithful to the book and readers will be able to appreciate it so much more. Friend who didn't read the book didn't quite enjoy it as much probably because some scenes or dialogue didn't make sense. Fans of the book will find the movie (for the most part) a good visual interpretation without much straying. Some people may not like it but I think movies made from books should stay true to the books, otherwise call it something else.

The Two Towers has some incredible fighting scenes. You have Ents and Wargs and the Nazgul. The Gollum is also weirdly spooky but very intriguing. The only thing I don't like about the movie is Frodo. Since I know how it ends, am kinda not so bothered with the wimpy pale-faced ring bearer but with all the action going about everywhere else! Don't quite think the third movie will be as fun but then again...

.........

Reached home close to 2 and woke up at about 11am. Thank goodness for foresight. :D Took the morning off in anticipation so no after-effects to reel from. Also, talked to Saw and Chun last night and I'll be tagging with them to Penang! Woohoo... will be good to do something different and it has been quite awhile since I've been to Penang. Thanks again Saw.
(Still wondering whether I'm interfering with any lovey-dovey plans) (what time you leaving Saturday and where do I meet you :) )

No comments: