Hi hi... tis my 2nd day in Bangkok and am writing from the office which I am currently working from. (yes work... I am here for product training after all!)
Got here uneventfully though had to wake up at a most unearthly hour. (zzz). Slept through most of the flight and landed to the most foreign place I've yet to visit. Hardly anyone speaks English. Gah!
Paid extra for the airport cab, I think I paid too much extra coz I got a Mercedes with a uniformed chaffeur! RM69 for a pretty good trip and in no creaking wira! :D Heck, no wira's anywhere. Most cabs are Ford and Toyota's here.
Bangkok in brief is NOISY, LOUD, CROWDED and roads are truly impossible to cross. People don't really follow the lights, zebra crossings are for show, and they don't really slow down much for pedestrians. Lame ol' me (and we thought KL was bad) would wait for some locals to dash and I'll follow close beside. (heck, if we get run downed, they get hit first). It is very very stressful.
Foodwise, it's official. I don't like Thai food. Everything is either sour or sweet or so spicy you think you've died. Lots of food though, you can't take 3 steps without seeing a roadside vendor. On thing to note is that almost all roadside foods are deep fried. Deep friend fishballs, deep fried sausages, deep fried bananas, deep fried seafood, deep fried everything! Lots of fruits as well though. Oranges, apples, limes and strawberries. And of course, the numerous beggars with their music, cymbals and noisemakers (the city is SO noisy that without the gimmicks, no one would notice them).
Shopping is so-so as well. EVERYTHING you find on the street resembles piece per piece what I saw with Saw (hehehe, saw with saw) and Chun at Feringghi road. You get your fake Pradas, silks, clothes, knick-knacks and etc. Nothing really lar. Malls are same-same with our prices, maybe a tad cheaper but not worth dragging it all the way down. A tad disappointed. Thought could do some good shopping.
And of course, there's the nightlife. You have very sleazy bars with pictures of naked girls in front and sleazier looking touts trying to get you in. Made an about turn fairly quick. Sleaze was so thick it dripped. Porn is sold everywhere too, including malls.
My hotel is practically in downtown so all of these are a walk away. Too bad I'm too far from the temples and such. That would have been a relief. My room is huge though, with a kitchen and living area! Could easily fit a family in that room. And oh, I saw baby elephants on the street! :D Cute animals them.
Anyways, that's about it about Bangkok I guess. Will do more walking today at the end of work. Have a good weekend all and take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment