Argh... Ooga Booga already? Darn...
Had a decent weekend, especially since I couldn't go back and had no TV. Saturday was activity day with shopping work dinner and movie. And what movie you ask? No surprise lar that I watched Matrix Reloaded. I have a compulsion to watch every movie that intrigues me within the first week of screening. Otherwise I just lose interest simply because of the flood of reviews and movie talk between friends. Anyways, here's my two cents on Matrix Reloaded.
___________________________________________________________________
Matrix Reloaded
First up, I am a fan of Matrix. And sci-fi. And sfx. And crass commercial hollywood. But also, in order to have a good movie, I believe you need the following two ingredients. A good story, and characters you can relate to. Outside of numbing (and incredibly repetitious) effects particularly in lengthy fight scenes that can fit an entire episode of Friends, Matrix Reloaded is largely disappointing.
Matrix was released years ago and having a sequel that followed through without the slightest of background introduction is not just pretentious but exhaustive. That may be forgiven considering the hype but seriously, no movie, not even the Matrix can ride on effects alone. Even Trinity's trademark float-in-the-air-and-kick-ass-pose failed to excite. Thanks to their success, I'm just numb from Matrix style effects, no matter how good.
Story wise, Matrix Reloaded seems to have none. The premise is the same but this time the prophecy seems close to fulfilment. Trouble is, after seeing Zion with all it's crappiness and bureaucracy, I really rather live in the Matrix. And once you feel that way, the movie has no purpose already. I couldn't be bothered if wood stick surfer boy Neo succeeds or otherwise. The movie never tries to convince or show how Zion is truly the place to be when life in the Matrix is exactly how we're living our lives now. And what's so bad about that? So what if we're powering machines, it's not like real life is any better than virtual life in the Matrix?
Character wise, the movie has so many characters, they all remain superficial, cardboardy and with certain 'key' characters, just lame. I cringe everytime Morpheus appears. Having him talk like Yoda on drugs in the first movie is cool. Having him talk like that ALL the time makes you realise why Nirobe (Jada Pinkett) is no more his wife.
I know lots of people like the movie and at expense of treading on toes, I think Matrix Reloaded borders on B-ratings if it weren't for the effects. Tis too bad coz I had really hoped the movie will rock. Just goes to show that all hype and no substance will still rake in big box office bucks.
___________________________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment