Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Insurance

An old friend called out of the blue, needless to say, there's a hidden agenda. He has decided to venture into the ill-perceived world of insurance selling and needs me to help meet his sales goals for the month.

I know there are many insurance agents out there and many claim to have your interests in mind but I think it's such a false illusion. I would be so happy to meet an agent that can just say that this is their job, their interests are financial, and all they want to do is explain the product to you and leave you to decide. The hard sell is not as bad as phrases such as,

"As your friend, you can trust me."

"I want to help you."

"I'm only doing this for you, since you're my friend."

Come on. Just be real and say it as it is. Maybe there should be a life insurance showroom, where all the products are stacked up and compared side by side, like cars. But I suspect, the oligopolistic nature of the insurance companies work to prevent this. As it is, agents can only commit to one company. Where is the impartiality, given how difficult it is to get detailed product information without having to go through a smooth talking agent oozing all the niceties of a Care Bear.

I honestly feel sad that people use friendship as a leverage for self benefit. Even worse is that I buy into it. My friend will likely get his sale and as much as I don't like it, at the end of the day, I do need insurance. Darn the irony.

No comments: