Friday, November 21, 2003

I've either been asked, been subjected to in a conversation, or listened to this one singularly grating topic: marriage all in this past week. Everything so far revolves around:

1. We are getting older and need to consider getting married so we can have kids by 30.

2. You can't buy that car! How are you going to fit your future children in?

3. Marriage is inevitable what... we all have to do it.

Since when is marriage inevitable? Death yes lar, maybe even the cancellation of Charmed, but marriage? You know, I'm not a big proponent of anything forced and although marriage is all good and pretty, it's not something you do because you have to. It should be something you do because you want to! I mean, the world has changed so much, what is inevitable is the fact that the institution or concept of marriage needs some changing too.

This is all personal obviously, but I feel that marriage is an option. You can be as happy dating, single, playing the field all the way to your deathbed I am sure. And let's not even go at how 'happy' marriages can sometimes be.

All I'm saying is, when you meet people like me, who really couldn't be bothered to choose a car for future children or starts saving vigorously for a wedding, take a breather to understand why. :) Please don't force down age-old propaganda that marriage will make your life complete, just like you have to work very hard when you are young to enjoy life when you are old. (Why can't we enjoy in moderation everyday?)

Imposing principles on others is something that I have a tough time with I guess. Within acceptable limits, and especially if you do not hurt or endanger anyone else, I truly believe we should be able to do as we please.

Marriage... bah humbug.

No comments: