Friday, September 26, 2003

Woohoo! Friday! Woohoo!

Can't wait for the weekend. This week went by really fast though. Didn't even had time to gripe proper and whang! Friday is here. Woohoo...

Some of you will already know that Sunday is my birthday. :) Looking somewhat to it for the prospect of well wishes. I already had my cake (thanks Chun and Saw) and some pressies (thank you). Seeing how I have not received any soft toys or flowers (I got a rose bouquet last year, yes, for real... I have no idea what my friend was thinking), I am glad.

Looking deeper however, birthdays are really not so much about the presents and cake (wouldn't mind another), but more about being remembered and cherished. Friends are most felt on this day and a milestone marking another year into life does hit you. There's always the thought of what have you done with your life? I've gone past that by the simple measure that what I do with my life is on my own accord. I would love to be able to contribute more to the world at large (and get out of the greed oriented corporate culture) but I first have to be happy with myself and my life. And that one single task takes the most effort to accomplish.

Happiness is relative. To some people, it is a measure of material wealth. Others, by love. For me, I think it is a combination of many things. Even though wealth is appealing, I treasure the freedom of moving about with anonymity and so average that the impetus to rob/kidnap and etc. is not something I have to worry about. I love having enough education to hold my own yet not too much to be pompous. I also willingly admit to having a lot more to learn, and with this life, that journey I will willingly take.

With the world in a chaotic mess, and with so many people unhappy for the simplest of things, it is really a depressing time to live in. We really should learn to find happiness whatever the circumstance and find a belief that is more resilient than opinion and adaptive to change. I think religion is something we all can do without, just imagine the wars that will not have been fought. Good in humanity I like to believe is innate. The bad however is instilled. We do not need the restrictive imposition of religion to tell us what to do, we should be able to do it with clear conscience and without fear for the after life. You are not here today to live for tomorrow.

At the end of the day, when all is spent and done, the only certainty in life is that today is here. Don't live for tomorrow, don't dwell on yesterday. Live for today and let love be shared.

No comments: