Friday, September 02, 2005

Acting on Impulses

I imagine that come mid-life crisis, I would likely be the sort to drain savings (if I had any in the first place) to buy a flashy red sports car. Why do you ask? Because it seems that I am ruled by impulsive actions that I don't quite have much control over.

I was mulling about a thought, just before sleep one night, and it was quite a fanciful thoughts. With hindsight, most can agree that almost all thoughts in sleep/awakeness limbo is fanciful but then hindsight is 20/20. Anyways, I was mulling about how nice it would be to wake up in the morning and instead of going to work to classes, I can go on a trip instead.

So the next day, with the fanciful thought still dominating and hindsight nowhere to be found, I ran a small poll online, found 5 students who had some interest and then proceeded the very next day (still without hindsight) to prepare a proposal for a 2D1N educational excursion to Melaka at the end of the month. And in a record of sort, the bureaucratic multi-layered levels of authority seemed to align in singular thought this once and gave me permission, and a small budget, in a span of one day.

And with that permission, finally came hindsight. And hindsight spoke, 'You will be responsible for up to 40 students in bringing them across 150km and guide them through place after place from 8 in the morning to 10 at night for 2 days and how on earth is this preferable to comfortable office work from 9 to 5?'.

I have to say, I don't like hindsight very much, especially belated ones.

No comments: